New Episode: Foster to Adoption - One Mother's Story, It Takes a Village Podcast
Have you ever considered becoming a foster parent or adopting a child through foster care? Whether or not you already have biological children, becoming a parent through foster care is a completely different experience, and you won’t want to miss this episode!
Today we are talking to Gini Dietrich, the owner of two businesses and the author of two books. She is also a mother and a wife, and she will be discussing her journey of adopting her daughter through the foster care system. She has some great perspective on the trials and tribulations that go along with adopting through foster care, and she will be sharing her advice for anyone who wants to go through the process themselves.
- Why Gini and her husband decided to adopt rather than pursue infertility treatment.
- How the foster-to-adopt process works, as well as the trials that the Dietrich family experienced during the early weeks and months of fostering their baby.
- How visitation worked with Gini’s daughter’s biological mother during the time that they were fostering.
- Why foster parents are not supposed to post information or photographs of their foster children, as well as why biological parents are given many chances to get their child back before the child is available for adoption.
- What life has been like since the adoption has been finalized.
- How Gini handles contact with her daughter’s biological mother now.
- How the bonding process with an adopted child can differ from the bonding process with a biological child.
- Gini’s best advice for people who would like to foster or adopt through the foster care system.
Links From Contributors:Spin Sucks
Gini on Twitter
Spin Sucks: Communication and Reputation Management in the Digital Age
Marketing in the Round: How to Develop an Integrated Marketing Campaign in the Digital Era
Quotes From This Episode:“The foster care system teaches you not how to be a parent, but how to deal with the bureaucracy of the system.”
“As much as you think you're going to protect yourself and not bond with the baby… you do. Of course you bond with her.”
“The only thing that changed [after the adoption] was that we no longer had to deal with the biological mother.”
“Making the decision to go the adoption route is the hardest part. Once that child arrives, you're all in, regardless.”
Have an idea for the show?
Have a topic you'd love for us to discuss? Call 1-866-553-5874 extension 500 and leave us a voicemail.
Meet the host: DJ Waldow
DJ Waldow is a husband, father (of 4... including TWINS!), and a 7-year gDiapers user—his children, not him. He's an advocate, a super-fan, and an overall lover of the gDiaper brand, product, and community. DJ also happens to have his own marketing company, 3LTRZ, where he helps clients with content creation—like podcasts. DJ has launched 3 (now 4) podcasts over the years, recording over 100 episodes!