New Episode: Engaging Fathers in the Transition to Parenthood, Podcast
Today’s episode is about dads. The transition for fathers into parenthood is different from what many mothers experience. Today we are talking to Chris May, one of the founders of SMS4Dads, which is a project that sends dads text messages to encourage and inform them about various childcare and fathering topics. This show is great for not only dads, but also moms, because we’ll be discussing how dads can become more engaged with parenting.
- Why Chris thinks that dads have traditionally been the ones being left out of the parenting conversations and how this has been changing in both homes and in society.
- How trends on paternity leave have changed over the years, as well as thoughts on how to change cultural norms that discourage dads from taking their leave.
- Some of the ways that SMS4Dads is helping to literally put information into dads’ pockets.
- Why the texts help both parents to support each other, as well as why being on the same page is important.
- Why it’s important for dads to spend time alone with their child and to function as a co-parent rather than simply as a support person for the child’s mother.
Links From Contributors:
Quotes From This Episode:“We’re seeing major reform happening in many families... Dads are getting more involved than they ever were.”
“Men still strongly identify with the role of being the primary provider.”
“We don’t have to teach parents how to parent. Their child is unique and their situation is unique. What will work for them is if they work together as a parenting couple.”
Have an idea for the show?
Have a topic you'd love for us to discuss? Call 1-866-553-5874 extension 500 and leave us a voicemail.
Meet the host: DJ Waldow
DJ Waldow is a husband, father (of 4... including TWINS!), and a 7-year gDiapers user—his children, not him. He's an advocate, a super-fan, and an overall lover of the gDiaper brand, product, and community. DJ also happens to have his own marketing company, 3LTRZ, where he helps clients with content creation—like podcasts. DJ has launched 3 (now 4) podcasts over the years, recording over 100 episodes!