New Episode: Can Tech Make You a Better Parent? It Takes a Village Podcast
Today’s world is filled with technology. In some ways it helps parents, and in other ways it hinders us. You can probably look at your use of devices and technology and agree with both of these takes.
Carley Knobloch, a self-described digital lifestyle expert has been on the Today Show and is the Smart Home host on HGTV. She’s the mom of a teen and a preteen, and she has a lot of insight on technology and how it can be used as a parent. She’ll talk about some apps that have helped her and the way that she uses technology to organize her life so she can make more special moments with her kids.
- Ways that technology has helped Carley be a better parent, as well as ways that it has impeded her good intentions.
- How to model and encourage good behavior when it comes to technology when you don’t meet your ideal standards yourself.
- Some specific technology that helps Carley with her parenting.
- How Carley teaches her kids how to use technology, and why it’s important not to assume that teens know how to use all types of apps and technology despite knowing how to use their own social media platforms.
- Types of technology that can make someone a less effective parent, as well as how Carley has learned to achieve some balance so she can get her work done while still being in the moment with her kids.
- Carley’s best piece of advice for parents who want to focus on using the best technology for what they want to do.
Links From Contributors:
Quotes From This Episode:“There are creative and proactive things you can do on a computer, as well as passive things you can do on a computer.... Not all technology is created equal.”
“Kids are going to do what they’re doing to do and your modeled behavior is going to be template #1.”
“For me, it’s about making the best use of my time when they’re away so that when they’re home, I’m not trying to wrap up my workday.”
“Start with a deeply rooted problem in your life... and find a piece of technology that helps you fix that problem.”
Have an idea for the show?
Have a topic you'd love for us to discuss? Call 1-866-553-5874 extension 500 and leave us a voicemail.
Meet the host: DJ Waldow
DJ Waldow is a husband, father (of 4... including TWINS!), and a 7-year gDiapers user—his children, not him. He's an advocate, a super-fan, and an overall lover of the gDiaper brand, product, and community. DJ also happens to have his own marketing company, 3LTRZ, where he helps clients with content creation—like podcasts. DJ has launched 3 (now 4) podcasts over the years, recording over 100 episodes!