New Episode: Being a Child Psychiatrist & Mom, It Takes a Village Podcast
Today’s guest, Mercedes Kwiatkowski, is a triple board-certified physician: She is a pediatrician, and most of what she does pertains to child psychiatry. In addition, she’s a blogger, a mom of two young children, and a wife. Today’s episode focuses on being a parent and also being a child psychiatrist.
- Some ways that Mercedes relates her experience in child psychiatry to her parenting, and vice-versa.
- Mercedes’s thoughts on some of the differences between boys and girls and the stereotypes that pertain to each gender.
- How being a parent has changed the work-life balance for a family with two busy physicians.
- How Mercedes controls her stress and calms down after a tough day at work before she gets home.
- Thoughts on how parental stress lends to childhood stress and anxiety.How the overuse of technology lends to screen addiction and anxiety, as well as tips on how to curb this.
- The stigma of mental health issues and how talking about it and knowing what to do with kids and adults who are struggling can help. Also, thoughts on finding a balance between honesty and being strong when parents struggle with their own anxiety.
Links From Contributors:
Quotes From This Episode:“There’s no such thing as a perfect parent. It’s best to be a good-enough parent, so that’s what I strive for.”
“The doctor is prescribing that you take more time for yourself. Make time to work out, make time for date night, try to get a day off from work and the kids and do whatever it is you need to do.”
“We are our kids’ biggest role models. Our behavior is the first thing they’re exposed to when they’re little.”
Have an idea for the show?
Have a topic you'd love for us to discuss? Call 1-866-553-5874 extension 500 and leave us a voicemail.
Meet the host: DJ Waldow
DJ Waldow is a husband, father (of 4... including TWINS!), and a 7-year gDiapers user—his children, not him. He's an advocate, a super-fan, and an overall lover of the gDiaper brand, product, and community. DJ also happens to have his own marketing company, 3LTRZ, where he helps clients with content creation—like podcasts. DJ has launched 3 (now 4) podcasts over the years, recording over 100 episodes!